Thursday, April 28, 2011

Rib Cooking Showdown


Last summer, my family started a tradition of Cooking Showdowns or Cook-Offs. So far, we've had a Buffalo Chicken Showdown and a Pumpkin Pie Showdown. When I came across this recipe for Cherry Cola Ribs in January, I bookmarked it and immediately challenged my mom to another cooking showdown.

When I challenged my mom, I knew it would be a difficult challenge because her Honey-Mustard Rib recipe is phenomenal. While the Cherry Cola Rib recipe I found looked delicious, I never tried the recipe before the cooking showdown. The Rib Cooking Showdown was intense and close; however, with the final vote of 5-4, the winning recipe was...

My Cherry Cola Ribs!

The cherry cola flavor really comes through in this fantastic rib recipe, Overall, the flavor profile is sweet; however, there is a bit of a kick to it. It's only been a few days since I made these ribs, but my family is craving them again. This award-winning recipe is most definitely a keeper!

My mom's Honey-Mustard Rib recipe is definitely still a keeper. Her ribs truly are phenomenal because they have a tremendous flavor that is sweet and savory! Both of our recipes are good, and my mom very easily could have won!

Mom's Honey-Mustard Ribs

For our rib recipes, you can click here for the Cherry Cola Rib recipe. And, my mom's recipe is below.

Mom's Honey-Mustard Ribs Recipe
Ingredients:

·2 full racks of ribs                                            
Rib Rub Ingredients:                                       
·¼ cup paprika                                                    
·1-3 TBS dry mustard                                        
·1 TBS Italian seasoning                                  
·1 tsp salt                                                            
·1 tsp pepper                                                      
·1 TBS sugar
Sauce Ingredients:
·¾ cup honey
·½ - ¾ cup cider vinegar
·1 tsp mustard
·1 TBS water
·1 tsp cornstarch
·Plus 3 TBS rib rub

Directions: 
Preheat oven to 425˚. Combine rub ingredients. Rinse ribs, cut thin white membrane from boney side and discard (you can also use boneless ribs and remove any excess membrane or fat). Pat ribs dry with paper towels. Use ½ of rub mixture and press into ribs. Line a baking sheet with foil. Place rack, meat side up, on foil – cover with more foil and seal all edges to form a foil bag. Bake for 1 hour.

Combine sauce ingredients, bring to a boil in a saucepan and simmer until thickened. Carefully remove ribs from bag and broil, basting with sauce.

I've also shared this recipe on: This Week's Craving

0 comments: