Saturday, April 2, 2011

Black Bean Brownies with Creme de Menthe Frosting


These healthy brownies are moist with a rich, fudgy chocolate flavor and definitely taste As Good As Gluten. I don't think anyone will be able to guess they are made with black beans as the secret ingredient! The brownies taste amazing without the frosting. However, the frosting adds an additional flavor if you are looking for something different than a standard chocolate brownie.

I came across this recipe from Joy in My Kitchen at This Week's Craving Event and immediately wanted to try it. There are two things I love about the recipe - it is flourless and uses black beans (one of my new favorite ingredients). I modified the original recipe slightly, based on the ingredients I had in my pantry, and added a delicious Creme de Menthe frosting. I also think this recipe would be delicious with any flavor of chocolate chips and/or frosting (mint, peanut butter, vanilla, etc.).

Black Bean Brownies
Ingredients:
·1 can (15 oz.) black beans, drained and rinsed
·2 eggs
·1 TBS extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
·2 TBS applesauce
·¼ cup cocoa powder
·½ tsp baking powder
·1 tsp vanilla
·¾ cup white sugar
·Pinch of salt
·½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350˚. Lightly grease an 8x8 inch glass pan. Drain and rinse black beans. In a blender, puree beans, eggs, EVOO, and applesauce. Then, add cocoa powder, baking powder, vanilla, sugar, and salt. Puree until smooth. Using a spoon or spatula, mix the chocolate chips into the batter.

Pour the brownie batter into the pan and bake for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. As the brownies bake, they will pull away from the edge of the pan. Let brownies cool in the pan before frosting.
Store on the counter for 2 days or in the fridge for a few additional days.

Creme de Menthe Frosting
Ingredients:
·2 TBS butter, softened
·1 cup powdered sugar
·1 TBS milk
·1/8 tsp Creme de Menthe Flavor (I used LorAnn Oils. You can also use 1/2 tsp of mint flavored extract instead of the oil)

Directions:
Cream butter and gradually add powdered sugar. Blend in milk and Creme de Menthe flavor. Frost brownies once they are cool.

I've also shared this recipe on: Seasonal Sundays

4 comments:

SnoWhite said...

Love the mint frosting idea!

Anonymous said...

Mine fell apart! Wonder what I did wrong... I didn't ice them.

As Good As Gluten said...

I'm sorry! Did you make any substitutions or revisions to the recipe?

Anonymous said...

These look great, I will have to try making them soon.