Sunday, April 10, 2011

Sweet & Sour Chicken (Crockpot)

I absolutely LOVE all of the flavors and textures in this dish! It is healthier than the traditional fried Chinese dish, and the chicken soaks up all of the delicious flavor!

Since Mike and I have been craving Chinese food lately, I've been working on recreating some of our favorites. Sweet & Sour Chicken was one of my favorite Chinese dishes from my pre-GF days. I am so happy I was able to create a GF version of my favorite dish and use my crockpot to do it.

Ingredients:
·1 green pepper, chopped
·1 medium onion, chopped
·¾ cup pineapple, cut into chunks plus ½ cup freshly squeezed pineapple juice (alternatively, you can use an 8-oz. can of pineapple chunks in juice - just add water or orange juice to get a ½ cup of juice)
·2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
· cup brown sugar
· cup rice vinegar
·1 TBS soy sauce substitute (or GF soy sauce)
·½ tsp chicken bouillon

·1½ TBS cornstarch
·¼ tsp garlic powder
·¼ tsp ground ginger
·1 tsp salt

Directions:
Place green pepper, onion, and pineapple in the bottom of a slow cooker. Place chicken breasts on top of the veggies and fruit.

In a separate bowl, combine pineapple juice, brown sugar, rice vinegar, soy sauce, chicken bouillon, cornstarch, garlic powder, ginger, and salt. Mix until cornstarch dissolves. Pour mixture over chicken.

Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 8. When chicken is thoroughly cooked, remove from crockpot and cut into bite-sized pieces. Add chicken back to the
crockpot and mix well to combine all of the flavors. Serve over cooked brown rice.

Yield: 6-8 servings


I've also shared this recipe on: Seasonal Sundays, Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays, Go Ahead Honey, It's Gluten-Free!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm always looking for new slow cooker recipes to try and this looks like a winner! I love sweet and sour and how simple this is! I've definitely bookmarked it for later. :)

Iris said...

This looks so good! I miss going out to Chinese restaurants, but this dish would easily make up for that. :) Thanks for joining in on our Go Ahead Honey It's Gluten Free roundup!

Heidi@OneCreativeMommy.com said...

Thanks for the great recipe. I'm pinning it and linking it up to this week's Gluten-Free Monday on OneCreativeMommy.com. Feel free to link up anything you'd like to add!

I plan to try this recipe tomorrow. Thanks again. I'm excited to check out your site.