Monday, July 4, 2011

Black Bean Chocolate Cake (Flourless)

This healthy and flourless Black Bean Chocolate Cake is delectable. I topped with Better than Sex GF Cake toppings and it was heavenly! My husband even said it's the best cake he has ever had!!

Mike gave me a great compliment while he was eating this cake. He looked at me seriously and said, "I have something serious to tell you, this is quite possibly the best cake I've ever had!" Until I had a slice of this cake, I would not have believed a Black Bean Chocolate Cake with Better than Sex GF Cake toppings would top all of the gluten and gluten-free cakes my husband has ever had, but it does!

Since I've been gluten-free, the neatest cooking/baking tip I've learned is that you can bake delicious treats using beans! So far, I've made Black Bean Cupcakes, Peanut Butter & Jelly Black Bean Cupcakes, and Black Bean Brownies with Creme de Menthe Frosting - all three were As Good As Gluten and delicious! I'm truly amazed by the versatility and healthiness of black beans. There is no black bean aftertaste to any of the dessert recipe I've made with black beans!

Black Bean Chocolate Cake (Flourless)
Ingredients:
·1 can (15 oz.) black beans, drained and rinsed
·3 eggs, separated
·2 TBS applesauce
·1 TBS pure vanilla
·Pinch of sea salt
·6 TBS butter, softened
·¾ cup sugar
·¼ cup cocoa powder
·1 tsp double acting baking powder
·½ tsp baking soda

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350˚. Grease a 9" cake pan and dust with cocoa powder. Line the bottom of the pan with parchment paper, and grease. In a blender, puree black beans, egg yolks, applesauce, vanilla, and sea salt until completely smooth. In a separate bowl, beat egg whites until fluffy. In a large mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add bean puree to butter mixture and mix well. Stir in cocoa powder, baking powder, and baking soda. Beat on medium speed until all ingredients are completely combined. Fold in egg whites by hand until just combined.

Pour batter into prepared pan, smooth out the top, and bake for 40-45 minutes. Cake is finished when firm to the touch and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cake cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then remove and let the cake cool completely. Frost with your favorite frosting/cake toppings and serve.

Yield: one 9" cake

I've also shared this recipe on: Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, This Week's Craving

4 comments:

dragondreamer said...

i have to know what your topping is?? looks FABULOUS!!!

As Good As Gluten said...

Thank you! I used Better than Sex GF Cake toppings, which are posted here: http://asgoodasgluten.blogspot.com/2011/05/better-than-sex-gf-cake.html

Louise said...

I made your cake on Christmas eve; it was one of the best cakes I've ever eaten - husband agrees. I cut the sugar in almost half, used agave syrup to make up the rest of the sweetness. I topped it with whipped cream sweetened slightly with a bit of maple syrup. Thank you so much.

Erin said...

I'm in gluten-free heaven...loving all your great recipes!