Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Best of As Good As Gluten Thus Far in 2011

My Best of As Good As Gluten Thus Far in 2011 list below was really, really hard for me to write. I originally planned on limiting myself to 1 recipe a month or 11 recipes (for 2011), but I just couldn't bring myself to eliminate any of my new favorite recipes (thus far in 2011, of course)! I am completely okay with this "dilemma" because before I went gluten-free, I never cooked or baked as many diverse and amazingly delicious recipes in 6 months (let's be honest, probably in my life).

January
Lazy Baked Greek Chicken - Mike and I (as well as a lot of friends who have tried this recipe) love it! We've made this a few times since January, and I am now realizing it's been a few months since we've had it. I need to change that quickly!

Four Cheese Lasagna - This is one of my all-time favorite recipes that I have been making since I was a teenager. Everyone loves it, and I was so happy it easily converted into a delicious gluten-free recipe. Not only does my Dad love my lasagna, but my husband claims this is my signature dish!

February
Flourless Double Chocolate Torte - Decadent and rich are the words that immediately come to mind when I remember this recipe. I'm a chocaholic and LOVE it (as well as many chocolate loving family and friends of mine)!


Super Nachos with Butternut Queso - The butternut queso is what really makes these nachos stand out as a top recipe. Mike and I were just talking to my family about this recipe last weekend. Mike said the butternut queso is delicious and adds just the right amount of sweetness to balance out this recipe. And, it's healthier than tons of real queso sauce (and we don't even miss it)!


March
Pink Grapefruit Cupcakes - These flavorful, citrus-y, light and refreshing cupcakes are perfect for Spring. I never knew a chocaholic like me would enjoy this recipe so much, and develop the recipe from scratch perfectly the first time!


Santa Fe Chicken (Crockpot) - Mike and I seriously have this dish at least once a month; we fight over the leftovers! We absolutely love it and have come up with a variety of ways to alter it based on ingredients we have at home, or new flavor profiles we want to try.


GF Thin Mint Cookies - This cookie recipe may be my all-time favorite recipe of the year thus far. I am so overjoyed I could recreate my favorite Girl Scout cookie into a delicious gluten-free Thin Mint Cookie. Which reminds me, I think I still have a few cookies hidden in the freezer!

April
Cashew Chicken - This is another meal that Mike and I have had quite a few times since I first made it in April. We absolutely love it, and I'm honored my friend Jamie also loves it!


Apple-Chicken Salad - My first introduction to chicken salad was delicious. This is my go-to chicken salad recipe that I've also made a LOT since April. My husband, Mike, "thinks" he doesn't like chicken salad. I'm going to let him keep thinking that so I can enjoy this all by myself each time I make it!


Brown Rice and Flaxseed Pizza Crust - I've made this hearty and delicious pizza crust recipe numerous times with a variety of toppings for both my large GF family and Mike and I. Each time, it keeps getting better and better!


Black Bean Brownies with Creme de Menthe Frosting - I know if you've never baked with black beans before or tried a delicious dessert baked with black beans that this sounds disgusting. But, these brownies are the BEST brownies I've ever had. And, since I'm a chocaholic that has had more than my fair share of gluten-free and regular gluten brownies, I'm a good judge!

May
Strawberry Glaze Pie - This is my all-time favorite recipe from my childhood. My mom would make it for us multiple times during strawberry season. I am so happy that this was easily converted to a delicious gluten-free recipe!

Flourless Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies - I still haven't decided if I like the raw (safe to eat) cookie dough better or the baked cookies - they're both delicious! I've also made these recipes with one of my younger cousins, and this is definitely a kid-friendly recipe (for kids to help bake and eat)!

Mexican Sausage Casserole - Even though I only wrote this recipe a month ago, it is our go-to weekend breakfast recipe. We LOVE it and have made it at least 3 times since May!

June
GF Calzones - Even though I was traveling during most of the month of June (to D.C., to Mexico, and back home to see our family), I was able to finally perfect my GF Calzone recipe. I've been obsessed with gluten-free pizza lately, and LOVE the sweet flavor of this homemade pizza crust recipe! I've made it into delicious pizzas and calzones with a variety of different toppings.


Better than Sex GF Cake - I've made this cake once with a Devil's Food Cake and once with a
Flourless Black Bean Chocolate Cake. Mike claims this is the B-E-S-T cake he's ever had. Surprisingly, he thinks it's the best with the Black Bean Chocolate Cake. I couldn't agree more!

I can't wait to see what other recipes I come up with and come across during the second half of 2011!

Lauren

0 comments: