Saturday, March 12, 2011

GF Thin Mint Cookies

I L-O-V-E Girl Scout Thin Mint Cookies. Needless to say, I was disappointed when Girl Scout cookie ordering time came and I couldn't order my beloved Thin Mints. Don't worry, I still supported the Girls Scouts by buying a few boxes of cookies that will be sent to the troops.

I spent this afternoon writing and perfecting my very own GF Thin Mint Cookie recipe. I'm ecstatic that the outcome was very, very, very successful! These GF Thin Mint Cookies are AMAZING, FANTASTIC, DELICIOUS, and as good as gluten! Actually, as good as Girl Scouts! You'll have to try my recipe for yourself to truly understand my overwhelming joy! 

Cookie Ingredients:                                      
·½ cup butter, softened                                
·¾ cup sugar                                                    
·1 egg                                                                
·½ tsp peppermint extract                           
·1 cup GF all-purpose flour                           
·½ tsp xanthan gum           
·½ cup cocoa powder             
·¼ tsp salt  
·½ tsp baking soda
Chocolate Coating Ingredients:
·1 bag (12 oz) mint chocolate chips 
·2 TBS butter

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350˚. In a stand mixer, beat butter until creamy. Add sugar and beat until well mixed. Beat in egg and peppermint extract. In a separate bowl, stir together flour, xanthan gum, cocoa powder, salt, and baking soda. Gradually add flour mixture into stand mixer, beating well after each addition.

Shape dough into two cylinders (1 ½ inches in diameter). Wrap each cylinder with plastic wrap and freeze for ½ hour.

Remove cookie dough from freezer and slice into ¼ inch thick cookies. Place cookies onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake 10-12 minutes, or until cookies are firm at the edges. Cool cookies completely on a wire rack.


Once cool, melt mint chocolate chips and butter together in a microwave-safe bowl (stir frequently). Dip cookies into chocolate coating and let dry on parchment paper.
Yield: About 60 cookies. (Freeze some right away and hope they last longer than a few days! I have some in my freezer that I hope survive the next two weeks so I can share with my parents and siblings on my next trip home!)

*Note: You can use semi-sweet chocolate chips in replacement of mint chocolate chips. Once semi-sweet chocolate chips and butter are melted, stir in 1-2 tsp of peppermint extract.

I've also shared this recipe on: Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays, Seasonal Sundays

7 comments:

The InTolerant Chef ™ said...

My littlej loves the chocmint combo, I'll have to give these a try for her. Yumm...

let there be cake said...

We will expect some of these when se see you next!

Anonymous said...

Waw!! These cookies look ever so delectable & apart too!

MMMMMM,...;Lovely & tasty cookies!

Lisa@The Nourishing Homemaker said...

I came over from Slightly Indulgent Tuesday. Your picture and title were screaming "Click Me!" I love Thin Mints! Genius! I'm making some today. Thanks for sharing!

http://nurturedfamilylife.blogspot.com

As Good As Gluten said...

Thanks Lisa! Please let me know how they turn out, I'm sure you'll love them as much ad I do.

Anonymous said...

Oh my! I'm a Girl Scout leader and after ordering was over we found out my daughter had to Celiac, she was SOOO upset to not eat her beloved Thin mints. Thank you thank you for this recipe!

Jamie said...

These look amazing! :) One of my favorites.