Friday, March 23, 2012

Gluten Free Buttermilk Pancakes

Gluten Free Buttermilk Pancakes are fluffy, hearty, and tasty. Serve with your favorite pancake toppings, or stir in fruit or chocolate chips into the batter for endless flavor opportunities.

Before I was gluten free, I used to love having pancakes for breakfast on the weekend. Since becoming gluten free a year and a half ago, I've only had pancakes for breakfast a few times. I've been intimidated about making gluten free pancakes from scratch because in my pre-gluten free days I never made pancakes from scratch. I always used Bisquick. The few times that I've had pancakes since becoming gluten free have been with King Arthur Flour's Gluten Free Pancake Mix. How could I possibly make gluten free pancakes from scratch if I never made regular pancakes from scratch before? As it turns out, this task was actually easy.

Last weekend I put my intimidation behind me and made gluten free pancakes from scratch. And, I am so glad I did. My Gluten Free Buttermilk Pancakes are so good that I am kicking myself for not making gluten free pancakes from scratch sooner. The recipe I came up with is honestly an easy and delicious pancake recipe. The best part is that it requires only one gluten free flour ingredient that is healthy - brown rice flour. Enjoy!

Buttermilk Pancakes
Ingredients:
·1 egg
·1¼ cup buttermilk
·2 TBS butter, melted
·2½ TBS sugar or honey
·1¼ cup brown rice flour
·2 tsp baking powder
·½ tsp baking soda

Directions:
In a large bowl, beat egg until foamy. Add buttermilk and butter and mix until well blended. Add remaining ingredients and mix until well blended. Be careful not to over stir, it is okay if the batter is slightly lumpy.

Fry pancakes in a non-stick skillet for 3-5 minutes on each side.

Yield: 4 servings


I've also shared this recipe on: This Week's Craving

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG! This is the best pancake I have ever had. The only think I changed is that I added a touch of salt. Mmm Mmm :)

Anonymous said...

could i use gluten free all purpose flour instead?

As Good As Gluten said...

Yes - you can use gluten free all purpose flour. I don't see any reason why it would not turn out just as well. Let me know how it works for you!

Anonymous said...

I tried these this afternoon with GF all purpose flour and they were FABULOUS! Even my husband said they tasted great and he is usually sceptical about the GF after taste...

Anonymous said...

I have just gone gluten free and I love these!

Unknown said...

Sooooo...All I have is coconut flour (no rice flour) could I use that instead?

As Good As Gluten said...

Joezette - I think coconut flour would still work. Let me know if it works if you try it.

Stephanie said...

Has anyone actually tried to use honey? I think it made my batter too runny - they were impossible to flip & they burned to the bottom of the pan long before they were anywhere near solid enough to try to turn, even with my temperature turned as low as possible. I would use less honey, or decrease other liquids if I were going to try it again....