Monday, October 24, 2011

Spicy Chicken (P.F. Chang's Knock-Off)

This dish is spicy and packs the heat, but it also packs delicious flavors! The tantalizing aroma will attract everyone to the kitchen while you're cooking.

I tried P.F. Chang's and their gluten-free menu for the first time a few months ago. My mom ordered the gluten-free spicy chicken, and it was delicious. Sadly, we were both glutened (which is a story for another day). Since then, I've been wanting to recreate the dish at home, and I finally did last month when my family was visiting.

I found a few copycat recipes online, but I made one "mistake" when buying the ingredients. I knowingly bought hot chili sauce instead of chili sauce. I didn't realize my "mistake" until I was almost finished cooking; however, my "mistake" turned out to be a success. My knock-off recipe of P.F. Chang's Spicy Chicken was delicious!

Yes, it packed the heat and my husband said he could potentially "breathe fire." Everyone still enjoyed it and suggested leaving the recipe as is and not to dial back the heat. I love spicy foods, but not if they're too spicy. I thought this dish had just the right amount of heat. However, if you want to dial down the heat, use less hot chili sauce or substitute some or all of the hot chili sauce with regular chili sauce.

It is served best with brown rice. Unlike how it is served at P.F. Chang's, we also enjoyed it with pineapple chunks and sautéed chopped bell peppers - which was delicious!


Spicy Chicken (P.F. Chang's Knock-Off)
Sauce Ingredients:
·2 tsp oil (canola, vegetable, or olive)
·1½ TBS minced garlic
·3 green onions, chopped
·1 cup pineapple juice
·2 TBS hot chili sauce
·2 TBS distilled white vinegar
·4 tsp white sugar
·1 tsp GF soy sauce substitute
·2 TBS water
·½ tsp cornstarch
Chicken Ingredients:
·¼ - ½ cup oil (canola, vegetable, or olive)
·2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces
·⅓ cup cornstarch

Directions:
In a large saucepan, wok, or Dutch oven, heat 2 tsp oil over medium heat. Sauté the garlic and onion for a few seconds, then quickly add pineapple juice, chili sauce, vinegar, sugar, and soy sauce substitute.

Dissolve ½ tsp cornstarch in 2 tablespoons water and add it to the other sauce ingredients in the pan. Bring mixture to a boil and simmer on medium/high heat for 3 to 5 minutes, or until somewhat thick.

Transfer the sauce to a bowl, then heat remaining oil in the pan over medium heat. In a medium bowl, toss chicken pieces with cornstarch until well-covered.

Sauté chicken in the oil, stirring occasionally, until light brown. Remove chicken to a plate and drain excess oil with paper towels. Place chicken in a bowl, add sauce, and toss to coat the chicken.

Serve with cooked brown rice.

Recipe adapted from: Epicurious

I've also shared this recipe on: This Week's Craving

2 comments:

Heather @Gluten-Free Cat said...

I can't wait to try this!! Chang's Spicy Chicken is my favorite thing on the menu!!

Unknown said...

This was delicious! I recommend draining the raw chicken chunks and patting them dry before tossing them with cornstarch though. And when I doubled the recipe I wish I would have doubled the cornstarch for the sauce but left the water the same (2 TBS) since it took longer than 5 min to boil down the sauce. I will definitely make this again!