Thursday, March 31, 2011

Orange Chicken Stir-Fry


One food item from our pre-GF days that Mike and I have been craving is Chinese. Last night, we created a tasty Orange Chicken Stir-Fry recipe. The flavor is phenomenal and it didn't take us too long to prepare. This recipe is definitely As Good As Gluten orange chicken!

Ingredients:
·1 ½ cup brown rice                           
·¾ cup orange juice                           
·¼ cup GF Soy Sauce Substitute (or GF soy sauce)        
·1 TBS cornstarch                              
·1 TBS grated orange zest                              
·½ tsp ground ginger                                       
·2 TBS EVOO (extra virgin olive oil)
·¼ tsp ground red pepper
·1 small onion (any type), halved and thinly sliced (I used what I had at home - a yellow onion - but red or green would add more flavor)
·2 cups fresh veggies of choice, chopped into bite-sized pieces (I used broccoli, but bell peppers or snap peas would also taste good)
·1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
·Salt and pepper

Directions:
Prepare rice according to package directions. Meanwhile, whisk orange juice, soy sauce, and cornstarch in a bowl until cornstarch dissolves. Mix in orange zest and ginger. Set aside.

Heat EVOO in a medium non-stick skillet. When oil is hot, salt and pepper the chicken, add to skillet, and stir-fry until cooked thoroughly, about 5 minutes. Remove chicken and add red pepper, onion, and vegetables. Stir-fry for 1 minute. Add chicken and orange sauce mixture and toss until sauce thickens and comes to a boil, about 3 minutes. Serve over rice.

Prep time: 10 minutes; Cook time: 10 minutes; Serves: 4

I've also shared this recipe on: Seasonal Sundays, Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love how simple this is! Usually when I make stir fry I make it without a sauce (yes, I'm one of those people :P) but now I want to try this one as it looks really good!