Sunday, May 20, 2012

Make Your Own Gluten Free Flour

I had a genius idea a few weeks ago to start making my own gluten free flour. It was easy to make and has reduced my grocery bill.

Over the past year, I've become comfortable enough using my own flour blends instead of relying on store bought gluten free flour blends. I've been using brown rice flour because it has a good nutrition value (something not all gluten free flour or flour blends have) and it doesn't have a gluten free aftertaste. When cooking, I replace regular flour with an equal amount brown rice flour. When baking, I typically make my own all-purpose blend by using a 2:1 ratio of brown rice flour and starch (potato or corn). Oats don't bother me, so I've also just recently started using oat flour the same way I use brown rice flour.

To make your own gluten free flour, grind brown rice (or oats if making oat flour) in a Magic Bullet or grinder until fine. Sift flour through a fine mesh strainer to remove large pieces. Bag and store in the fridge.


I've also shared this post on: Slightly Indulgent Tuesday

0 comments: