Friday, June 1, 2012

Quick Smoothies

Quick Smoothies are my new go-to delicious and nutritious breakfast.

I've been thinking about making smoothies for awhile now, but I didn't think it would be easy or quick enough to do in the morning. Until I came across this idea for DIY Smoothie Packs on Pinterest. Freezing yogurt and having everything ready to go was exactly the solution I needed. 

Instead of freezing individual smoothie kits, I prefer to have one bag of frozen fruit in the freezer and one bag of frozen yogurt pucks. It makes it easy for me to grab one puck of yogurt and a cup of frozen fruit to put into my Magic Bullet. The smoothies I am currently drinking are vanilla yogurt with milk, vanilla protein powder, and a combination of peaches, strawberries, pineapple, and mangos. They are delicoius, fairly quick to prepare in the morning, and keep me full until lunch time.

Quick Smoothies
Ingredients:
·1 large tub of yogurt flavor of choice
·Frozen fruit of choice
·Milk or juice
·Optional add-ins: protein powder, chia seeds, oats, spinach, etc.

Directions:
Divide yogurt evenly among 12 regular-size muffin tins. Place in the freezer and freeze for a few hours until hardened. Remove yogurt from the freezer and let it sit on the counter for 10 minutes. Use a spoon and pop the yogurt pucks out of the muffin tins. Place yogurt pucks in a plastic bag and return to the freezer.

To prepare a smoothie, let yogurt and frozen fruit sit on the counter for about 10 minutes. Place one yogurt puck and about one cup of frozen fruit into a Magic Bullet cup. Add between one half and one cup of milk or juice and any additional add-ins. Blend until smooth.

Notes: If freezing your own fruit, lay it out evenly on a baking sheet and freeze it before placing it in a plastic bag. I prefer having one bag of yogurt pucks and one bag of frozen fruit in my freezer. However, if you prefer pre-made smoothie kits, you can portion out one puck of yogurt and one cup of frozen fruit into individual plastic bags.

0 comments: