Sunday, March 18, 2012

Mike’s Cornmeal Fried Shrimp

My husband wrote this tasty shrimp recipe. While I hate having a kitchen smell like fried food, Mike's Cornmeal Fried Shrimp is crispy and flavorful. Even I, a self-proclaimed shrimp hater, liked it.

As you know, I am not a fan of seafood. Over the past year, I've been trying fish more often. I am finding that I like mild, white, flaky fish if it is seasoned to my taste. Mike made shrimp last week for himself for dinner. I've had cocktail shrimp in the past and I hated it. I don't know why I decided to try Mike's shrimp dish. Too my surprise, I liked it! The fried cornmeal batter was flavorful enough to somewhat mask the shrimpy taste.

While giving up meat for Lent has been hard, it has been exciting too as I keep expanding my pallet. If you would have told me a month ago that I would actually enjoy mushrooms and shrimp, I would have laughed in your face.

What are your favorite shrimp recipes that you'd recommend I try?

Mike’s Cornmeal Fried Shrimp
Ingredients:
·12 pre-cooked shrimp
·½ cup cornmeal
·1 TBS onion powder
·1 TBS garlic powder
·½ tsp cayenne pepper
·1 tsp each - salt and pepper
·1 egg
·EVOO

Directions:
In a shallow bowl, combine dry ingredients. In a separate shallow bowl, beat the egg. Toss shrimp in the cornmeal mixture and then place in the egg mixture to coat. Then toss the shrimp back in the cornmeal mixture to coat evenly.

Fill the bottom of a large skillet with EVOO, about 3 TBS. Heat the oil, then add the prepared shrimp. Cook the shrimp for 1-2 minutes on each side until batter is brown. Serve immediately.

0 comments: