Saturday, February 11, 2012

Tomato-Basil Parmesan Soup (Crockpot)

The flavor combination of tomato, basil, and Parmesan cheese in this soup is phenomenal. Dunking a gluten free grilled cheese in the soup sends this meal over the edge.

Can you believe that this is my first experience with tomato soup - EVER?! Traditional canned tomato soup reminds me of watered down ketchup - gross. Thus, in my mind, all tomato soups must be the same. I can't believe it took me a quarter of a century to get over my illogical assumption. This "gourmet" Tomato-Basil Parmesan Soup was so incredibly delicious!

I followed the recipe in the link below pretty closely, except I used brown rice flour to make my roux. After I made the roux of butter and brown rice flour, I added the roux directly into the crockpot and stirred for 3-4 minutes (as opposed to slowly adding the soup to the roux in the saucepan). The other change I made was that I used 1 cup of half and half and 1 cup of skim milk, instead of 2 full cups of half and half.

I'm feeling adventurous and want to try other tomato soups. What are your favorite tomato soup recipes?


Click here for Tomato-Basil Parmesan Soup recipe from Crockpot365

0 comments: