Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Blackened Fish and Cheesy Grits

Spicy, flaky fish served with creamy and cheesy grits. Yum! 

Over the holidays, I spent a week in Alabama for a family getaway/vacation. Relaxing and spending quality time with family was just what I needed to recharge again. The weather was wonderful (sunny and much warmer than the Midwest), the people were friendly, and the food was delicious. For dinner one night I ordered a southern meal of Blackened Fish and Cheesy Grits. To my surprise, I loved the meal even though I'm a very picky fish eater and grits haven't impressed me in the past. I recreated this meal last week for dinner and it instantly brought me back to this ...


I just need to hold onto this warm, sunny beach for a month or so longer and then the Midwest winter will be better be behind us. Back to the meal. I made my Blackened Tilapia recipe and experimented with quick grits until they were creamy, cheesy, and flavorful. It was so good that Mike and I inhaled our dinner.

Cheesy Grits
Ingredients:
·3 cups water
·¾ cup quick grits
·1 cup skim milk
·2 oz. Neufchatel cream cheese, cubed
·¾ cup shredded cheddar cheese
·¼-½ tsp cayenne pepper
·Salt and pepper

Directions:
Bring water to a boil in a medium pot. Salt the water and then stir in the grits, milk, and cream cheese. Bring mixture to a boil; reduce heat to simmer and cook for about 4 minutes. Once the grits have thickened but moisture still remains, add the cheddar cheese and season with salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper. Stir to melt the cheese and adjust seasonings to taste.

Yield: 4 servings

0 comments: