Monday, November 7, 2011

Revolutionary GF Mac & Cheese

After one bite of this homemade mac & cheese, I learned why it deserves the title Revolutionary Mac & Cheese!

I came across a recipe for Revolutionary Mac & Cheese on Pinterest a month or so ago, and was very intrigued by the 5-ingredient recipe. After trial and error, I converted the recipe to be gluten-free. The original recipe calls for equal amounts of pasta and milk, but I learned that gluten-free pasta needs more cooking liquid in this recipe. Gluten-free pasta also takes longer to soften than regular pasta does. Easy solutions to convert a recipe to be gluten-free.

I think this mac & cheese recipe truly is revolutionary and I thoroughly enjoyed it. However, it doesn't beat my mom's famous homemade mac & cheese recipe. It was a favorite of my siblings and I growing up, and it still is today. My husband, on the other hand, LOVES this recipe! This may not seem like a huge feat, but it is considering he is a lover of blue box mac & cheese. While Mike enjoys my many homemade mac & cheese recipes, he has never loved any of my homemade varieties more than boxed. Heartbreaking, I know, until now!

Revolutionary Gluten-Free Mac & Cheese
Ingredients:
·2 cups dried gluten-free pasta
·2½ cups skim milk
·1½ cups shredded cheddar cheese
·1 tsp salt
·½ tsp Dijon mustard

Directions:
In a medium saucepan, add pasta and milk. Bring to a simmer, and then reduce heat to low and cover. Cook for 30 minutes, until pasta is soft, stirring frequently to assure the milk does not boil.

Remove from heat and add cheese, salt, and mustard. Stir well and let sit for about 5 minutes before serving.

Yield: 4 servings


Recipe adapted from Macaroni and Cheesecake

I've also shared this recipe on: Gluten Free Wednesdays

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

I made this tonight and was quite impressed...it was simple and tasted great! I used Tinkyada pasta (the best GF, IMO).

As Good As Gluten said...

Stephanie, thanks for the feedback. I'm glad you enjoyed it! I also use Tinkyada and agree it is the best. I have another variety of this I'll be posting soon, so stay tuned!

hal said...

This looks so wonderful. We miss mac and cheese so much, whether for nostalgic reasons for taste, who knows?

I will try this gluten free version soon - thanks again!

http://questorganic.com/search?q=gluten

suze said...

Ahhh, thank you. I tried it (from Pinterest) as well and while it was good, it really did need more liquid. I'll be using your version from now on!