Sunday, October 17, 2010

Mom's Version of Steak 'n Shake Chili


This recipe has been a family favorite for years. The original recipe calls for condensed onion soup (which is not gluten-free) and cola soda. Over the years, we've substituted the brown sugar for the cola and it still tastes great. My mom just came up with a substitution for me for the onion soup (with beef bouillon, minced onion, and water) so this recipe is officially gf. My hubby and I made this tonight and it tastes just as good as we remember it! You can top it with your favorite chili toppings. Cheddar cheese, green onions, and sour cream are my favorites, but I just stuck with cheddar cheese this time.

·1 lb ground beef
·1 15 oz. can of kidney or pinto beans
·1 6 oz. can tomato paste
·1 tsp Better than Bouillon Beef Base
·⅓ cup dried, minced onion
·½ - 1 cup water (you may need to add more to get the consistency you prefer)
·½ tsp salt
·1 TBS chili powder
·2 tsp ground cumin seed
·½ tsp ground black pepper
·2 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder
·1 TBS brown sugar

Brown beef and crumble. Drain grease and add remaining ingredients. Heat until hot and bubbly.

I've also shared this recipe on: Seasonal Sundays

0 comments: