Saturday, August 20, 2011

Ratatouille Zucchini Pasta

When I was creating this recipe, I wasn't sure how it would turn out. I'm happy to say that it is delicious! Even my meat-loving husband said this vegetarian dish is "surprisingly, not so bad." I, on the other hand, absolutely loved it!

I made my zucchini "noodles" by removing the skin from a large zucchini, and then using a potato peeler to essentially peel the zucchini into large noodles. Since I was creating this recipe as I cooked in the kitchen, I used my best guess for the liquid measurements. You want enough liquid to gently coat the zucchini pasta in sauce, but not turn the dish into soup-like consistency. If you accidentally add too much liquid, you can strain some out or soak it up with gluten-free garlic bread.

Ratatouille Zucchini Pasta
Ingredients:
·1 large zucchini, peeled
·1 small eggplant, diced
·2 tomatoes, diced
·1 onion, chopped
·3 cloves of garlic, chopped
·Handful of fresh oregano, chopped
·Handful of fresh parsley, chopped
·3 TBS EVOO (extra virgin olive oil)
·2 TBS dry sherry
·1 TBS lemon juice
·Salt and pepper
·½ cup shredded Italian blend cheese

Directions:
Using a potato peeler, peel zucchini into “noodles” until you get to the core with the seeds. Set zucchini noodles aside.

In a large skillet, add EVOO, sherry, and lemon juice. Sauté onions and garlic until onions are translucent. Add half of the diced tomatoes, smashing the tomatoes with the back of a spoon to release the flavor into the sauce. Stir in chopped spices, eggplant, the remainder of the diced tomatoes, and zucchini noodles. Season with salt and pepper and stir gently until zucchini pasta is well combined. If necessary, slowly add more sherry or lemon juice if more sauce is needed.

Remove from heat, and stir in shredded cheese.

I've also shared this recipe on: Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Seasonal Sunday

0 comments: