Saturday, June 11, 2011

Homemade Biscuits and Gravy

One of my favorite (occasional) weekend breakfast recipes is Biscuits and Gravy. However, it's been years since I've made it, I've never made it completely from scratch, and I've never made it gluten-free. A few weekends ago, I created a gluten-free homemade biscuits and gravy recipe from scratch, and Mike and I enjoyed a delicious breakfast!

I did learn one thing about making gravy from scratch - the taste depends on sausage grease. I'm not a fan of cooking anything in grease (remember when I discovered the secret to Mike's Chicken Bacon Ranch recipe was onions cooked in bacon grease)? Well, I had leftover pork sausage that was already browned, so I used it to make the gravy. Needless to say, I didn't have any of the sausage grease drippings and thought I'd be saving time and making a healthier breakfast (which I did) by not using it. My first attempt at this recipe tasted good; however, I, sadly, had to agree with Mike that it was mising the extra flavor from the sausage drippings. I wrote my recipe below the "right" way so we'll have the extra (unhealthy) flavor next time!

Homemade Biscuits and Gravy
Biscuit Ingredients:                                          Gravy Ingredients:
·1¾ cup all-purpose GF flour                            ·1 lb pork sausage
·1 tsp xanthan gum                                            ·1½ TBS cornstarch
·2 tsp baking powder                                         ·2 cups milk
·1½ tsp sugar                                                       ·Salt and pepper to taste
·½ tsp cream of tarter
·½ tsp salt
·5 TBS unsalted butter, softened
·1 cup milk

Directions:
Preheat oven to 450˚. In a large bowl, combine dry biscuit ingredients (from GF flour to salt). Cut in butter until mixture resembles course crumbs. Add milk and stir until dough mixture forms. Drop rounded balls of biscuit dough onto a cookie sheet lined with a silicone baking mat (or parchment paper). Bake biscuits for 12 – 15 minutes, or until tops are slightly browned.

Meanwhile, brown sausage in a large pan. If there is a lot of excess grease, drain some; keep at least some grease to add flavor to the gravy. Whisk in cornstarch and milk over medium heat. Whisk until desired gravy consistency is reached (may need to add more milk if it gets too thick, or more cornstarch if it is too thin). Add salt and pepper to taste.

Serve sausage gravy over warm biscuits.

Yield: 10-12 biscuits

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I made the biscuits today. OMG! I have been trying for 8 years to make homemade biscuits that taste like and have the texture of wheat containing baking powder biscuits. On a score of 1 to 10 these scored a 20 - LOL! We will be making and eating these often. Thank You so much for the best GF biscuits recipe.

As Good As Gluten said...

Yay!!! I'm so glad you loved them and thank you for sharing your feedback! I understand your frustration trying to make homemade biscuits that don't taste gluten free, and I'm so happy I was able to help you!

Anonymous said...

i tried making my own gf flour.i was hoping my mistake with the flour would still work with this recipe.theyre in the oven right now.thanks ahead of time.

joan w said...

I loved the buttermilk pancakes and will try these biscuits. Do you think I can use buttermilk for the 1 cup milk?

As Good As Gluten said...

Joan - I think buttermilk would work well, and add a nice richness to the flavor. Please let me know how it turns out for you. I'm glad you loved the pancakes!

Anonymous said...

I want to make this recipe but would like to add cheddar cheese and roasted red pepper. Will this still work?? Never tried gluten free before.

As Good As Gluten said...

I'm not sure how adding cheese and peppers to the recipe will change it, but let me know how it works out if you try it.

Anonymous said...

I made these biscuits and just like the other posts they are very good. The best gluten free biscuits I have ever made. Thank you so much.