Sunday, June 9, 2013

Kale and Mushroom Lasagna


This ugly picture does not do this lasagna justice. I'm sorry; while lasagna is my favorite meal, it's my least favorite to photograph. So, you'll have to take my word for just how delicious this cheesy and flavorful lasgana is.

This Kale and Mushroom Lasagna recipe is based on my Four Cheese Lasagna recipe, substituting mushrooms and kale to make it healthier and vegetarian. Meat lovers, don't worry! My meat-loving husband will attest that you won't miss the meat in this cheesy and hearty lasagna. I prepared myself for looks of disgust at the dinner table after I made this lasagna, but my husband gobbled it down and thoroughly enjoyed it!

Kale and Mushroom Lasagna
Inspired by my Four Cheese Lasagna

Ingredients:
·1 lb no boil lasagna noodles (I used De Bole's No Boil Gluten Free Rice Lasagna Noodles)       
·1 TBS extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
·2 - 16oz. containers of baby mushrooms, rinsed, de-stemmed (caps only) and chopped
·16 oz. kale - de-stemmed and chopped
·1 medium onion, chopped
·2 cloves garlic, minced
·1 – 28oz. can tomato sauce   
·1 tsp dried oregano
·1 tsp dried basil
·1 tsp dried cilantro
·16 oz. cottage cheese
·2/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
·2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
·2 eggs

Heat olive oil (EVOO) in a large skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms, onion, and garlic. Cook until mushrooms are softened and brown, about 7 minutes. Add kale and cook until wilted. Add tomato sauce (reserving 1 cup) and spices. 

In a bowl, combine cottage cheese, parmesan cheese, 1 cup of mozzarella cheese, and egg. Spread 1 cup of sauce on the bottom of ungreased 13x9x2 baking dish. Arrange 3 uncooked noodles. Top with cottage cheese mixture, top with 3 noodles, ½ of veggie sauce, 3 noodles, and remaining ½ of veggie sauce. Cover with foil and bake at 350˚ for 45 minutes.

Uncover and sprinkle with remaining mozzarella cheese. If desired, sprinkle Italian seasoning on top. Bake, uncovered, until cheese melts - about 10 minutes.

0 comments: